[Vision2020] wireless public access points

Eric Flanery eflanery at fsr.com
Thu Mar 24 18:55:45 PST 2005

Actually, "wardriving" is simply driving around, scoping out what you can
find on the air. It's a modern day equivalent of "wardialing", which is
having your computer dial random or sequential numbers, looking for other
computers. The term "wardialing" was popularized by the 'classic' movie
"War Games", where a kid doing just such a thing caused problems for a
Norad system he stumbled across.

The uses for the knowledge people gain by "wardialing" or "wardriving" are
often illegal, but "wardriving" itself has nothing to do with "warez".
"wardialing" itself can be illegal, and can cause you to face "Telephone
Fraud" charges, as well as others. However, "wardriving" is an entirely
passive activity, and as long as you don't abuse the info you find, there
is nothing really illegal about it.

That said, please do support those who chose to provide this service. They
pay for it, and using it against their wishes isn't right. Tony is correct
in that it can be prosecuted (using someone's service without their
permission, not "wardriving"), for Theft of Service, if the provider so
decides.

The media and politicians often do conflate "wardriving" with actually
making use of the service, but they are really distinct concepts. Think of
it this way: Verizon can't prosecute you for just noticing that they have
a pedestal in your neighborhood, but if you tap into it, they can (and
will).

--Eric

Eric Flanery
Wireless Manager