[Vision2020] Dale Courtney

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:41:32 PST 2005

David,

ASUI is an auxiliary department of the University but run by the students
under the oversight of the University President. In other words, the UI
President can tell ASUI what to do, cut or increase funding, or even disband
it if he/she wanted to.

ASUI gets their funding from the University. It gets $45.40 for each full
time student (12 credits or more). Only current, fee paying, undergraduate
students at UI are members of ASUI.

The fees to run the Kibbie Dome do NOT come from the ASUI budget. They come
from a variety of sources, other student fees, game tickets, donations,
renting facilities, other colleges that pay us to play them, and the state
government.

The reason the Kibbie Dome has the name ASUI in front of it has to do with
the way it was funded back in the 1970s. Students helped fund part of the
project of building it and established the original policy.

While ASUI should help determine policy regarding the ASUI Kibbie Dome now,
it does not, anymore then Kibbie does, or Dan O'Brian controls the Dan O'
Brian track and field with his name on it. The ASUI Constitution should
apply to that building too. It could be argued either way. But in regards to
the issue of religion, the policy is the same.

ASUI also funded all the computers in all the computer labs and helped with
the building of the Student Union Building, the Idaho Commons Building, the
Wallace Complex, and the Student Recreation Center. But as you can imagine
we do not get to deny Jews the use of the Computers, Gays the use of the
Ball Room, Vietnam Veterans the use of the Climbing wall, and the disabled
use of the Common Grounds. We are forced to treat everyone equally (and I am
glad too, because obviously some would try to deny others equal
participation and use of the facilities when they paid for them).

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold