[Vision2020] Kibbie Use & Rights

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 22:58:47 PST 2005

Donovan et. al.

I was discussing this issue today, and the scenario was suggested that if a
self identified neo nazi racial supremacist group tried to rent the Kibbie Dome
for a weekend conference, regardless of any variable or constitutional right
or legal incentive to proceed, there is no way the U of I would allow this to
happen.

If this is true, then the high minded rhetoric that regardless of what Christ
Church promotes and represents, such as women and gays as second class
citizens, or pathetic prattle about the harmonious relationship between the races
under slavery in the USA, they have the legal right to use the Kibbie Dome, is
really NOT an unyielding position that the U of I would defend across the board
for all organizations.

So the question then becomes one of political games and institutional bias
regarding what would hurt the image of the U of I the most, not ultimate moral
or legal defense of any groups right, regardless of religion or politics, to
use the Kibbie Dome.

Would you be as eager to defend a neo nazi racial supremacist group's use of
the Kibbie Dome as you are Christ Church's?

If your principles are applied equally, you would be compelled to!

Ted Moffett