[Vision2020] RE: Kibbie Use & Rights

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 00:20:56 PST 2005

Ted,

If the Aryan Nations, or any such said group were to attempt to rent the
Kibbie Dome, the UI administration would have to do one of two things. One,
prevent the renting of Kibbie Dome to everyone. Or two, rent the Kibbie Dome
to them.

This case did in fact take place in Coeur d' Alene a few years ago. The
Aryan Nations wanted to march down Sherman (the main downtown road). The
City Council attempted to deny The Aryan Nations the right to march downtown
while allowing other groups to do so. The ACLU sued the city and the Aryan
Nations were allowed to march.

In Georgia the KKK wanted to adopt a highway so their name would be on a
public highway sign. The Highway Department shut down the program and took
all the names down instead of printing the name on the public sign. That was
fair, it treated everyone equally.

So my advice to the University would be to change their policy so nobody
could rent the Kibbie Dome for private use. The loss of revenue for the
KIbbie Dome on the RV Home on Wheels event would not be worth the negative
attention and or funding caused by a Nazi Regime marching in our Kibbie Dome
and being played on ABC, NBC, and CBS for the world to see.

However, I would not support the position of denying a group their First
Amendment rights. You treat everyone the same.

If Doug Wilson and Christ Church are so horrible a group as the Nazis, then
the UI Administration should consider the ending of any leasing of the
Kibbie Dome. But saying one group can meet there and another cannot on the
bases of religion or political opinion is not legal and a violation of the
Constitution. Shutting down the use of the building to non-athletic events
is not. I would not violate the Constitution for sake of the Nazis, no.

If I had to ultimately decide between allowing the Nazis to march in public,
or violate the a person's constitutional rights, I would choose to allow
them to march. Even if it was Satan himself saying we should get rid of the
US Constitution.

You got to believe in something. And equality for all is something I believe
in, no matter what.

I hope I was clear, if not, let me know.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold