[Vision2020] Terri Schiavo

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Wed Mar 23 01:17:17 PST 2005

They did apply for guardianship on several occasions but were denied by
the court.  This conforms with Florida law, as I understand it, and
parents have no rights for their married children.  I agree with that
law but I have a hard time with the court's refusal to accept additional
testing that the Schlindler's offered to pay for to be entered into the
record.  Michael has repeatedly refused any additional treatment or
testing since the mid '90's.  In fact, his custodial duties were
partially remanded to the court for his refusal to have anti-biotics
administered when Terri had a life threatening infection some years
ago.  The court, under both Florida law and federal precedent,
determined that withholding of basic medical care is a violation of
basic rights.

There are raging debates on the conservative side as to whether the GOP
overstepped its bounds in this case.  If any of you can put on your
"objectivity" hats for a few moment, I have a roundup of thoughts by
conservatives and libertarians on the issue at http://davebudge.com.

I'm obviously reluctant to point many of you there as I'm sure it will
do little more than bring contempt on myself for my conservative views
and my disdain for the new found federalism of the Democrats.  I'm, on
this one, deeply skeptical about the courts findings and generally on
the side of the Schlindlers (note to Nick Gier - this may be
inconsistent of me as a libertarian and a federalist in many respects -
I don't want to hear about it - mia culpa)  If you're deeply offended
(or otherwise) by what I have written feel free to add comments to the
blog.  I leave everything there for public view unless it borders on
pornography (Hey, my kids read my site.)

By the way.  I'm not a fan of Tom Delay so don't mix with his ilk.
You'd be wrong in doing so.

db