[Vision2020] Prayer that violates God

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Mar 14 15:37:49 PST 2005

J Ford, Other Thinkers,

The problem of prayer is much greater than Christ Church Cult Master Douglas (If it ain't my way, it's wrong!) Wilson's covenantal hypocrisy and intolerance.

The problem of prayer is that prayer is an insidiously egregious insult to an alleged all-powerful or very powerful god!

1.    If a prayer is a prayer for something to happen, for example, the recovery of a loved one from a serious illness or the home team to win, then asking god to do otherwise than she/he/it originally planned is saying:  "I am smarter than you, god.  I know (in this case) what is best for the universe, not you.  Please do it my way!"  In theological terms, this is thinking oneself superior in knowledge to god; such a sin is sometimes called vanity or in Wilson's case, egomania.  The most obvious case is when in his logic-challenged blog Wilson's prays to/directs his alleged all-powerful god to break people's legs (arms?) -- Tell 'em Dougie, you're smarter than god; you should be in charge of the universe.

2.    If a prayer is a prayer of praise or thanksgiving, like thanking god for a particularly juicy piece of meat, it is still an insult.   It is implying that god demands, needs, or appreciates such praise/thanks.  These are certainly human qualities, but not they are qualities of a god self-succifient/powerful enough to create/operate the universe.  Such needs/demands/etc. show a profound weakness/character defect.  Think about it.  We most admire those kind/accomplished human beings who are selfless -- who do good without expecting or accepting gratitude.  Praiseful prayers are like offering raw rat-gut stew to the king.  The end result for those offering such mush may be the same in both cases.

With regard to Wilson and his wipes/minions, I can only echo the sentiments of many:  He is about as far from being a Christ-like person as it is as possible to get (without being in prison [so far]).

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com