[Vision2020] Prayer that violates God

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:56:19 PST 2005

Below is a link to Doug Wilson’s Blog for today:

http://www.dougwils.com/

If Christ should not be “used for spiritual showboating” why does Doug
Wilson open every meeting, every gathering, every  thing, with a prayer?
And since God does “see(s) the heart in our acts of charity; He also sees
the heart when we come into His presence in prayer” shouldn’t Doug Wilson be
trembling in his boots at this point?

The passage that he marks as relevant to his ranting, Matt 6:5-8
specifically is dealing with people like Jim Baker, et al, that are
obviously praying to receive brownie points – “Oh, doesn’t he look so
Christian praying there like that” or “See how serious she is – look at her
tears” (referring to Tammy Fae)  Doug is telling people that prayer in
public (we pray at meal time even in public – something Doug is NOT
comfortable with and has admonished us for in the past) such as the football
player in the end zone after a really good play resulting in a touchdown.  I
had been told many times by Doug and his minions that such is a practice in
paganism just like wearing of crosses, having a crucifix hanging in our home
or other “shows” of our faith/trust in God.  (My cross is firmly affixed to
my neck chain and shall remain so and the crucifix is very firmly attatched
to our wall in the living room.)

Doug also talks about how people, when praying in a group (for perhaps the
first time,) that use repetitive words are to be ignored or disciplined.  I
know my youngest child, not the best public speaker, gets very nervous about
speaking in front of a bunch of people that are not close friends, and tends
to stutter and not make complete or steady sentences, especially when put on
the spot.  I know plenty of grown people in the same boat – they simply are
not public orators and will trip over words when forced to do something they
are not used to.  So to that person, we are to ridicule, put down, admonish
not to pray, etc, JUST because Doug Wilson says their prayer(s) are not
sincere enough or perfect?  And yet he says “God knows the heart of the
person praying”  IF he truly believes that, then God understands the
nervousness of the prayee and that that person is NOT “violating God” in his
attempts to pray.

Last point:  “We also have to remember what prayer does not do. The point of
prayer is not to ‘fill God in.’…. prayer is not for the purpose of teaching
Him anything. As Christ so plainly puts it, the Father knows what we need
before we ask Him. So why ask Him at all?”

I know of many instances where Doug and his people have made very lengthy
and tiring prayers, “filling God in” and THEN getting to the point of the
prayer.  While God may know before we ask, I feel it is necessary at times
to let God know “I get it – well at least most of it…can you fill in the
missing pieces?”  God has never let me know I have violated Him by doing
this – fact is, He answers me quite clearly that He is very happy with my
prayers even if His answer is “no.”

Again, the throne comes out and see who is sitting on it? (as viewed from
Doug Wilson’s vantage point.)