[Vision2020] Ted Kooser, Poet Laureate

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 20:12:21 PST 2005

Some Visionaries may recall that Poet Laureate, Ted Kooser, was  expected to
speak at New Saint Andrews College in the  middle of March.  Mr. Kooser
canceled his engagement some weeks ago,  for "personal reasons."
As a salute to his integrity, as well as his incredible talent I am  posting
one of his poems that I especially like.  I think it would be  a good thing to
stop by Bookpeople and pick up a collection of his  work.
Thank you Mr. Kooser for your inspirational poetry and the honorable  choices
you make.
Rose Huskey
A Happy Birthday
_Ted Kooser_ (http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=1300)

This evening, I sat by an open window

and read till the light was gone and the book

was no more than a part of the darkness.

I could easily have switched on a lamp,

but I wanted to ride this day down into night,

to sit alone and smooth the unreadable page

with the pale gray ghost of my hand.