[Vision2020] Budget problems in Washington State

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 07:22:53 PST 2005

Mr. Jones,

I would like to address your concerns directly by the points you brought up.

"1. The state is $2 billion in the hole."

Your assumption is that this group some how results in an extra cost to
society. I contend that this group would actually decrease the cost to the
state. By providing free counseling to those with a problem through peers
and using already existing resources saves thousands every year. Depression
and loss of work, or using professional resources, such as persons that have
PhD to counsel students dealing with personal issues is more expensive.
People that have nobody to relate to usually will go to a more expensive
resource such as a psychologist.

“2. Sexual orientation is a private matter. It really doesn't matter to me
at all. Or should it matter to you.”

Sexual orientation is a private matter, but it does impact mental health and
performance at work and school. You are correct that it should not matter to
the public, but it does. People deal with sexual orientation issues because
there is discrimination against certain types of people in public, at work,
school, church, and even in the home,  and those people need to have an
inexpensive and effective way of dealing with it.

“3. Allocating funds for a special interest, that is not even of direct
benefit to students, is a misuse of taxpayer funds.”

How is the improvement of mental health and increasing social skills not a
benefit to students? Second, where do you get the assumption that it is
funded by taxpayers? GLBT is a student funded organization not funded by
taxpayer dollars. Third, all government funding goes to special interests,
including Social Security, Meals on Wheels, Public Education, Road
Construction, and Fire Protection.. Fighting discrimination is also a goal
of the University and to not fund it or to prevent students from freely
forming would be a violation of state and federal law.

“4. The state has no business in the bedroom. On any level.”

First, I disagree with this statement. It has the right to prevent rape,
child molestation, and animal cruelty. It also has the right to help men and
women with reproductive problems, and has the responsibility to promote
sexual education so people can make informed decisions.

Second, GLBT and other such groups have nothing to do with sex. They have to
do with providing peer relations and someone to talk to about their
sexuality identity and be provided counseling. They are not sex sessions as
you are implying with your grossly uninformed statement or the bedroom.

I hope that cleared it up for you. Now I know that you will write whoever
the contact person was in that article and thank them for saving you money
and providing free services for students. If you are worried about the
government spending money on something that has nothing to do with education
I suggest you start in the areas of Auxiliary Services and Athletics.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold