[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 4 05:32:35 PST 2005

>From today's (March 4, 2005) UI Friday Letter.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

March 4, 2005

Dear Friends,

Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to participate in an event in Boise
that addressed Idaho's bioscience future. With an adequate investment in the
state's technological infrastructure, Idaho would have the foundation to
attract new bioscience companies and further support existing companies.
These are the jobs of the 21st century that will improve the economy, enable
a sustainable environment and enhance people, communities and society
through knowledge.

The University of Idaho will continue to support science and technology as
one of its strategic academic themes. As the University reorganizes to
reinvest in its future, the promotion of science, technology, engineering in
the areas of imaging, power and energy, biosciences, and nanoscience and
materials are integral priorities. We have strong, established programs in
these areas, and continued strategic investment will produce the ideas that
inspire innovation in the future.

On another note, Karen and I enjoyed our first Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival.

It was an extraordinary event. In my life on college campuses, I can think
of only a few events that have so vitalized a campus community and provided
such a variety of entertainment and enjoyment.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
~ Jay D. Kenton, vice president for finance and administration since July of
last year, has announced his resignation, effective March 31. Kenton has
accepted a position of vice chancellor for finance and administration for
the Oregon University System. "We are already underway with our transition
plan," said UI President Tim White. "I've been anticipating this possibility
since becoming aware of Jay's candidacy late last year." White's plan
includes deciding among a set of options within the next several weeks
regarding Kenton's replacement.

~ University of Idaho water researchers, as part of an extensive Idaho
delegation, recently organized a workshop in Chile to develop a
collaborative research agenda between the U.S., Chile and other Latin
America countries and the European Union. Chile currently faces an
unprecedented energy crisis, with pressure to develop more hydropower. "Our
emphasis is on transferring some of the lessons and experiences from the
Columbia Basin to such regions as Patagonia, where there is unique
biodiversity and cultural heritage,"
said Steven Daley Laursen, dean of UI College of Natural Resources.

~ John Wahl of Paradise Valley, Ariz., a 1948 UI graduate in metallurgical
engineering, looks back on his college days with fond memories. He says his
education at Idaho "gave me a good basis to do a variety of things in life,
not all related to metallurgical problems but in many cases, life problems."

John has been giving back to his alma mater for many years; the last several
with annual $5,000 gifts for student support in the materials science and
engineering department. He feels very strongly about supporting students in
their endeavors to get an education. John prefers that his gifts be used to
provide materials and equipment for lab experiments, underwrite special
projects, defray expenses of field trips and the like. John also has made
provisions in his estate plan for the University of Idaho to help assure
that his support will continue in perpetuity.

Take care,

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy