[Vision2020] I'm Waiting, Dave! Re:Chomsky Quote

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 20:48:22 PST 2005

Dave et. al.

Thanks for replying.

The Chomsky quote you tried to mud-sling, with no evidence presented, does
not exist, according to Noam Chomsky, with whom I have been in direct
correspondence.  You can quit looking.

There is such an abundance of scathing attacks against Chomsky that are full
of half truths and exaggerations and out of context references to his
statements that someone could write a tome just criticizing all the criticisms.

All scholars make mistakes, regardless of their ideology.  But Chomsky is one
of the most careful and thorough researchers and writers I have ever read.
However, he has worked at exposing and analyzing facts that many in very
powerful positions, both in government and the private sector, do not appreciate
being exposed.  Thus the deliberate and systematic attempt to discredit his work
and person with less than scholarly tactics.  Like plastering him with a nasty
connection to a brutal dictator like Pol Pot.

Today on NPR, Philip Short, who wrote "Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare," was
interviewed.  According to Short, the US backed Pol Pot in a resistance effort
after the Vietnamese invaded and removed him from power, playing the usual
cold war covert games.  During this period, 100,000 more were killed, and many
of the land mines that now continue to kill and maim were laid, funded in part
by US sources.

Dave, maybe you could investigate US government policy regarding Pol Pot to
find "scary" personalities who really endorsed and funded Pol Pot, rather than
attacking an MIT scholar, and one of the greatest geniuses of the last
century, for statements he never made.

Ted Moffett