[Vision2020] I'm Waiting, Dave! Re:Chomsky Quote

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.net
Wed Mar 2 14:54:56 PST 2005

Ted,

In case you missed it, I said I agreed with Chomsky on a few issues such
as Kissinger and Chile.

And I won't quit looking because Chomsky is not a reliable narrator on
the matter.

FYI. - to this day I believe that our mission in Vietnam was wrong and I
subscribe to the
fact that U.S. policy has been deplorable in many instances.  But one
must also admit
that it is not simply the U.S. that is at fault in atrocities and
Chomsky rarely lays any culpability
on Chinese or Soviet misdeeds, of which the deaths accrue in the millions.

The U.S. backing of Pol Pot was in response to Vietnam invading
Cambodia, but you know this.
Peace stalwarts, such as George McGovern, insisted that we had violated
our agreement under
the Paris accords by not re-entering Indo-china after the fall of
Saigon. At that point we were damned
regardless of our position.  Chomsky reacted to McGovern at the time
quite adversely.  Living up to
that agreement was not, nor has not since, been a discussion that
Chomsky addresses
with fairness as far as I have found.  Ask him about it.  And ask him
about footnotes in his
 writing that circle back to his own work too.  No wonder not a single
historical review has been
written on any of his "historical" books by anyone in the academy of
history.

I've got no dog in this fight.  U.S. foreign policy historically has
been duplicitous and inconsistent.
I have never defended it, although you seem to think that I'm a
uncritical defender of American
policy.  Our support of countries like Saudi Arabia and Egypt is
inconsistent with our own
Constitution and I have taken that view for several decades.  I despised
the policies of Johnson,
Nixon and Ford in particular.  I fault Carter for being an appeaser and
a supporter of Egypt,
Reagan for standing behind middle-eastern despots, Bush I and Clinton
for the same.

I do not criticize Chomsky in defense of anything.  I criticize him
because he is an anti-Semitic
bigot, unbalanced in his outlook, and an intellectual fraud for
professing that he is an anarchist.

He'll get no respect from me. Not ever!

db