[Vision2020] Gadflys and Trinity Fest

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Wed Jun 22 01:06:00 PDT 2005

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Unfortunately some of us
like to hear ourselves speak but make little sense when we do. I am
speaking of the self-important commentary of late on this list. You know
what I mean, the commentary that serves little productive purpose except
to prove that some of us are capable of wrapping  legs around an idea
and making love to it while disregarding all logic--but at the same time
getting  some kind of salacious thrill from the public display of
self-righteous indignation. Gadfly is the word that comes my mind and
seems aptly descriptive.

For instance, the indignation and foaming at the mouth about inhibition
of Christ Church's free speech rights is absolutely  ludicrous.The
community has every right to comment on Christ Church's actions/words
and doing so is not an infringement of their free speech rights. It is
high drama to say that you would fight for Christ Church's right to say
whatever, but actually as long as none of us are doing things like
falsely yelling fire in a crowded theater or looking up library records
without a warrant, or inciting violence, then we are ALL exercising our
right to free speech (especially when the discussion is limited to just
the facts). Nobody is limiting the speech of Christ Church.

Sadly, some of us would rather puff ourselves up and waste everyone's
time than calmly discuss the facts while working together to better the
community. Why for instance, aren't we talking about how the University
of Idaho could protect itself from another Trinity Festival?

Here's an idea for you. Why not suggest to the University that it
require an IRS form 990 to be submitted to prove non-profit status (for
any organization of sufficient size not to be exempt) that wants to use
University facilities as a non-profit organization?  A student group is
too small to need to fill out a 990 form but, for instance, Christ
Church is large enough. The Shriners have no problem proving non-profit
status by a 990 form and Christ Church would have the option to fill one
out (or not) and use the facilities (or not). An IRS 990 form is a fair
way for both the County and University to have at least some proof of
non-profit status prior to giving discounts or tax breaks.

Jim Meyer