[Vision2020] Don't look there

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 05:16:25 PDT 2005

In addition to agreeing with Ms. Kraut's explanation
that small schools limit enrollment for economic
limitations not hatred for children with disabilities,
hence the reason for vouchers so they can attend
schools with better academic programs--I had to
comment on what I thought was a strong misconception
of children with disabilities made by J Ford when she
said:

"they don't take children that have educational or a
disability that limits their ability to do grade level
work."

Most children with disabilities, with the exception of
brain damage, when given accommodations, preform as
well as their peers. Just because someone has a
disability does not mean that they are below grade
level. In fact, many preform well beyond that of their
peers.

Accommodations do not advance a student ahead in a
class. They only make things equal. The accommodations
they receive usually would do those that do not have
accommodations little to no good if they also had
them, such as a reader when they are blind, or a wider
doorway to get in the class. So intelligence and grade
level performance should not be correlated with a
disability. There is of course the exception of those
with severe mental disabilities. But a small school
cannot afford the huge medical costs to care for them.

If the school district paid for the accommodations at
the private school instead of providing for them only
while attending the public school, it would cost the
same and allow the parents to choose the school based
on academic criteria, not physical and medical
accommodations. The best suited education vs. proper
accommodations should never be a choice given to
children with disabilities when it is an unnecessary
economic dilemma.

Donovan J Arnold