[Vision2020] Discrimination and the Trinity Fest

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 04:32:06 PDT 2005

Mr. Meyer,

Are you serious, sane, and sober?

Anyone else NOT find it ironic that these four
statements appear in the same email:

"Unfortunately some of us like to hear ourselves speak
but make little sense when we do."

"For instance, the indignation and foaming at the
mouth about inhibition of Christ Church's free speech
rights is absolutely ludicrous."

"Nobody is limiting the speech of Christ Church."

"Why for instance, aren't we talking about how the
University of Idaho could protect itself from another
Trinity Festival?"

Was this email suppose to be a joke Mr. Meyer? Because
I cannot get my mind around the idea that someone
would say we are NOT limiting the free speech of a
group then later suggest ways to do so in the same
email.

Get this Mr. Meyer: I do not want to prevent anyone
from renting the Kibbie Dome. NOBODY! Even ugly people
that I disagree with and have horns and a tail. And
either do people that believe in a free country. If
someone does not want to hear what they have to say
they can choose not to attend and listen, that is
their right too.

What you are suggesting is exactly what North Idaho
College did in 1994 to try and keep the Lesbian, Gay,
and Bisexual Alliance (LGBA) from forming and meeting
by changing the rules with the intent of purposely
excluding one group of people. That is called ILLEGAL
Mr. Meyer. If you were an administrator at UI that
would be grounds for dismissal.

Furthermore, Mr. Meyer, who begs for the application
of logic, it does not do squat for preventing Christ
Church from meeting now that UI has already
established them as a non-profit without also hurting
the largest student groups at UI.

Explain the logic of fighting for equality by treating
other as unequal?

I am also curious Mr. Meyer, if you can explain to me
how filing a legal complaint about people celebrating
worship with wine during communion has anything to do
with fighting bigotry?

I am willing to bet we would do a better job of
advancing equality if we treated everyone equally,
made friends with the people we disagree with and made
arguments against the reasons for their bigotry rather
than treating them unequally and attacking them
personally.

Attack the bigotry in people, not the people with
bigotry.

MLK Jr., Gandhi, and Jesus Christ never attacked the
individuals that practiced injustices, just the
injustices.

Peace out,

Donovan J Arnold