[Vision2020] Gee dash dee

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 14:14:13 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

Just for the record, I don't think I've ever put my boot in Scott.
Why?  Because he makes perfect sense to me, even when we don't agree on
some particular issue.  I don't require that my friends and I walk in
lock-step at all times and, as far as I can tell, neither does Scott.
That's one of the many things I like about him.

I think, however, that I'll take Scott's "la-la-la" advice to Phil and
apply it to myself.  You see, I like being a Jew.  I like worshipping
God according to Jewish tradition.  I like celebrating the Sabbath and
the Seder, Rosh Hashanna and Chanukah.  I always fast on Yom Kippur.  I
read Torah and the Midrash and books on Jewish theology and history.  I
like being part of a 3000 year-old conversation with God, and I
especially appreciate the Jewish tradition of l'hakshot, i.e.,
relentless questioning.  L'hakshot means asking both God and oneself
hard spiritual and moral questions, and refusing to settle for easy or
comfortable answers.  Oddly enough, Phil's belligerence has inspired me
to re-read Maurice Lamm's "Becoming a Jew," and I am reminded all over
again about why I decided to take this spiritual path.

So thanks, Phil.  Well, thanks from me, at any rate.  I can't speak for
Gee-dash-dee.  I'd hate to be turned into a pillar of salt.

Joan

PS: The Moscow Civic Association has nothing whatsoever to do with the
June 23rd screening of the film "My Town."  I solicited donations from
friends and family in order to rent the Kenworthy, and once I had
enough, I booked the joint, signed the contract, and paid the rental
fee, all under my own name.  The President of the MCA, Lois Blackburn,
is out of town, and as far as I know, she has no idea that the film
will be shown a week from Thursday.  I don't if she'll even be back in
town in time to see it.  I don't know where Phil is getting his
information, but it's bogus.  Wait, that's that's not quite true -- I
don't know for certain where Phil is getting his information, but I
suspect his source is our blogstalker, Dale Courtney, Moscow's answer
to Hedda Hopper.  Perhaps we should call him Hedda Hophead?  Or maybe
Walter Winch-all?  No, no . . . I've got it!  Dale is Louella Parson's.
  (Please note the possessive apostrophe "s."  Dale Courtney is a
fully-owned and operated subsidiary of Doug Wilson, Inc., Parson to the
Stars!)

PPS: FYI, Scott, I think Gee-dash-dee is the father of Sandra Dee, the
noted Talmudic scholar and star of "Gidget" and "A Summerplace."  She
used to be married to Bobby Darin, who's now somewhere beyond the sea.
My source for this information is, of course, Mack the Knife.

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:18 PM, Scott Dredge wrote:

> What's with this newfangled strung together sequence
> of characters that reads "G-d".  Is it now blasphemous
> to refer to G-d as "God" and not abide by the
> politically correct referece of "G-d" (if political
> correctness is what's driving this)?  This reference
> may be fine for email, but it's terrible for live
> conversation.  I thought it was a typo the first time
> Phil wrote it.
>
> Good L-rd!
>
> -Scott
>
> PS - Joan has both my permission and my blessing to be
> a Jew and she has rock solid backing of this as
> guaranteed by the first amendment of the US
> Constitution.  And Joan's boot is probably wedged in
> me because she ain't afraid to give me the business
> when I deserve it.  Phil, my suggestion for you is to
> close your eyes, put both hands over your ears, and
> repeat "La, la, la, la - I'm not listening to you -
> la, la, la".  That's about as much as you do when
> trying to futilely dictate who you *think* makes the
> cut for whatever religion.

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com