[Vision2020] an open letter -- What's That? Are you serious?

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Tue Jun 14 02:28:22 PDT 2005

Donovan,
Now you have read both Greg Dickison's writings
(http://www.credenda.org/old/issues/vol3/magi3-9.htm) and Doug Wilson's
writings
(http://www.dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=ArchivesByTopic&TopicID=36). I
guess by your statements you find Doug Wilson's writings fairly well
within Christian norm, that we are all sinners and that we all deserve
to die for our sins, even gasp--Doug.
As for Greg's writings, there is little ambiguity there. Would you admit
his views are extreme?

I think the point here is that Doug Wilson is editor of the magazine in
which Greg wrote. It was approved for publication and it has never been
retracted, disavowed, or removed from the web. Therefore, contrary to
the sanitized version in his blog, Doug Wilson actually supports Greg's
views or he would not have published it. And furthermore, Greg did not
develop his theory in a vacuum. Do you think the idea must have
originated with church teachings? with Doug? That would be my guess.

Be that as it may, here we have an organ of the church publicly saying
that certain biblical based crimes are punishable by death and that in
the face of those crimes, it would be a sin to pity the perpetrator.
Isn't that just a bit scary to you? Is Greg Dickison's writing actually
an incitement to violence? I would say that perhaps it is. Of course, it
doesn't say to just go out and kill a sinner, but it does say that
government law is inadequate. That god demands more, that it would be a
sin to pity the perpetrator. Do you think it possible that someone might
take it upon themselves to "faithfully execute justice," especially
after being indoctrinated regularly in church and from elementary school
through college? Do the religious schools in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan
hold no lessons for you?

You are familiar with Matthew Shepard? Need I remind you of the
University of Idaho drama student that was kidnapped in Moscow, Idaho
and then EXILED to his snowy DEATH far out of town on a winters night
about five years ago? Emphatically, I am not saying Christ Church (or
any member) is responsible, but given the rhetoric, who knows?  As I
said, it is a community issue when an organization crosses the line and
potentially incites violence. Silence condones. Where is your voice? To
me, your voice sounds enabling rather than helpful.

But perhaps all this is in the past. Maybe beliefs and rhetoric have
mellowed, though the community has had little indication of that being
the case.

Jim Meyer

Donovan wrote:
Mr. Meyer,

You made the following allegations against CCers, "The
fact that  Christ Church representatives who benefit
from tax breaks publicly support  the idea that whole
groups of people are lower than them and that violence
against those people is somehow god's intent IS a
community issue"

Those are pretty serious charges Mr. Meyer!

Can you back your statement that Christ Church is
preaching that individuals commit violence against
other community members?

Has Christ Church, or any member(s) of Christ Church
acting on behalf of Christ Church, EVER physically
assault another member of this community?

Donovan J Arnold