[Vision2020] Minor Consumption of Alcohol

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:56:09 PDT 2005

Donovan states that:

"As any person with a brain knows, anti-alcoholic
policies are established to prevent minors from being
intoxicated, hurting themselves, others hurting them,
or preventing possible brain damage or death. It is
not meant for the purposes of preventing communion.
Alcohol is not a BAD thing when taken in small doses.
Millions of children consume alcohol in communion, in
medicine, and other religious practices everyday with
positive effects."

Well Donovan, according to the World Health Organization,
            "All children and adolescents have the right to grow up in an
environment protected from   the negative consequences of alcohol
consumption and, to the extent possible, from the promotion of alcoholic
beverages."

So by allowing alcohol to be consumed in mass are we not promoting alcohol
consumption?

WHO continues with,
           "Young people are more vulnerable to suffering physical,
emotional and social harm from their own or other peoples' drinking."

Granted this could be argued that WHO is reffereing to binge drinking, but
without the explicit definition of what "their drinking" means, we can
assume that any amount of alcohol poses a threat to young people.

And more from WHO,
           "The health and wellbeing of many young people today are being
seriously threatened by the use of alcohol and other psychoactive
substances. From a public health perspective, the message is clear: there is
no scientific evidence for a safe limit of alcohol consumption, and
particularly not for children and young adolescents, the most vulnerable
groups."

THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE FOR A SAFE LIMIT OF ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION.  So
does this mean that a little sip of wine could be a safe limit?  According
to WHO, there is not safe limit of alcohol consumption.

WHO seems to think that children and young people are the most vunerable for
alcohol use.  Does it seem appropriate then for children to consume wine at
mass at a young age?  I know how I got hooked on the sauce in high school,
it started at Catholic Church.  Nothing better than Father Carlos' cheap red
wine.  Then again, maybe the wine was around to take advantage of young
boys, ooh that was a low blow.

Tim

World Health Organization,
http://www.euro.who.int/AboutWHO/Policy/20030204_1

P.S. Donovan, you state that 50-80% of Americans beleive in the same values
and principles as Christ Church.  Did you make this number up or is there
research behind your claim.  Generally speaking when people make claims in
the nutrition field, the product they are promoting is bogus.  Could this
idea be applied to your claim of 50-80% as well?  Or is there peer reveiwed
research to support your claim?  Just a couple of questions about your
information thats all.