[Vision2020] Religious Exemption: Alcohol, etc.

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 11:59:44 PDT 2005

Phil et. al.

The following explanation of the issues regarding this debate on Christ
Church, or any religion, using wine supplied to minors in a religious ceremony on
government tax payer supported property or buildings, should ease your
concerns, Phil, unless you want to break down the separation of church and state.

First, I must correct one of your implications regarding the facts I stated
regarding alcohol abuse and youth.

It is not "supposedly a crime" to give alcohol to minors.  It is in fact a
crime.  I did not write or enact these laws.  To point out that supplying
alcohol to minors is against the law is not "preaching," it is stating a fact.  And
all the data I provided on the abuse of alcohol by minors and youth, and the
marketing of alcohol to youth, is not "preaching," again, it is stating facts.

Now, on to some essential facts and principles involved in religious use of
drugs:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/drg25.htm

It is well known that in fact religious ceremonial use of certain quite
otherwise illegal drugs is allowed with a religious exemption, as you can read at
the web link above.  I am sure that your use of alcohol in the Jewish religion
for ceremonial use by minors can be or already is protected by the guarantee
of religious freedom that our big bad evil government and the US Constitution
provides.

However, consider that the legal guidelines for the religious use of public
taxpayer (i. e. government, as in the Idaho State government or the US Federal
government) supported property or institutions, given the principle of the
separation of church and state, which is wisely insisted upon by the US
Constitution to protect everyone's religious freedoms, suggests it is unwise and/or
illegal to allow breaking the laws regarding supplying alcohol to minors with a
religious exemption in a religious ceremony on or in public taxpayer supported
buildings or institutions.

I know that there are serious efforts underway to break down the separation
of church and state as a strict legal principle, but I think this principle
should be enforced rather strictly to avoid the slippery slope of endorsement of
specific religions by the government.

Why do you appear to insist that the government support your religious
beliefs and rituals?  This is odd reasoning coming from a "libertarian."

Christ Church can hold their religious ceremonies, and offer wine in
communion, on private property, to follow the US Constitutional guarantees of
separation of church and state.  I doubt the police will raid their ceremony to arrest
the adults who are supplying alcohol to minors.  And if the police did, then
the ceremonial use of wine for minors could be fought in the courts on the
grounds of religious freedom.

Phil wrote:

"Using the example of the communion wine
and the insistence that any wine used in a religious ceremony given to
minors is supposedly a crime as preached by Ted and several others here on
this particular listserv, Jews would indeed be barred from holding a Pesach
Seder on University or City Property.  Similarly, Catholics who offer wine
with their communions would also be barred from such religious practice
involving those properties.  Only temperance minded religions need apply so
order up the grade juice."

Vision2020 Post by Ted Moffett