[Vision2020] RE: Religious Exemption: Alcohol, etc.

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:32:58 PDT 2005

Ted

I am already aware that the issue of freedpm of worship exists with regard
this.  One would hope that considering that very issue, use of wine in a
religious context would not end up being a case that required court action
with all its attendent legal costs.

As for the use of University Property or other governmental facilities, Ted
if we were talking about people getting free use or we were talking about
government establishing a community religious observation I would be in
concurance with you.  But as long as the University or the City rent
facilities out to other organizations for them to use, I do not see where
you think the problem is.

If you rent a facility or an apartment or a house or even a pasture, the
facility during your time of occupancy is up to you to determine.

Since the University has rented the ground to other organizations and to
other religious groups in the past, its hard to see how this one is any
different.  They have also set rules that allow consumption of wine, so its
presence is not a ban on wine in general, but is really there at the Kibbie
Dome to keep drunken displays from happening at football games.

The trouble of seperation of religion from the state is indeed at issue
here.  You and several others do not like these folks because of their
religion, their particular beliefs.  The doctrine of seperation is there so
that your distaste for them does not allow you to use the weight of the
state and its police powers to supress them from doing what every other
person has a free right to do.

If the University allows rental, and they do, and if the University rents to
religious organizations, something that they also do, then barring one group
from using rental property when others are allowed to is a direct breach of
seperation of church and state.  That picking and chosing of what are
acceptable religious groups is what the establishment clause is absolutely
all about.

And Yed, where exactly do I "Why do you appear to insist that the government
support your religious beliefs and rituals?  This is odd reasoning coming
from a "libertarian."

Is it supporting my beliefs if I rent from them?  Seems to me that in that
case I am paying money to them for use of a facility.  I do expect them to
stay the heck out of my religious beliefs and rituals once I have paid my
rent.  I would expect the same from Palouse Properties and simply because I
rent from them does not give them the right to bar or deny me the right to
practice my religion in my apartment.  It is no more Palouse Properties
right to dictate my religious actions at home than it is from a governmental
rentee.  If not, than kids would not be allowed to pray in their dorm rooms.
  You might just want to look into landlord tenent to understand this.

So, Yes the libertarian in my will allow not onlyfor the CC to use
facilities, but even for the Wiccans to pray on Public Property on Forest
Lands.  Just as long as they rent or pay for the space, where the the harm
to any belief in indivudal freedom or its maximization?

Phil Nisbet