[Vision2020] 07 05 05 Ny Times: United ChurchofChristBacksSame-Sex Marriage

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 23:18:21 PDT 2005

You make some good points Donovan.  Last weekend I was
at a family reunion in CdA and I was congratulating my
Canadian relatives for Canada's pending legalization
of same-sex marriages.  My 69 year old Catholic Uncle
is completely against this and he was very frustrated
at the apathy of the younger generation about this
issue and his jaw hit the floor when my 32 year old
cousin chimed in about "consenting adults".  He
finally admitted that he was "an old guard going down
with ship".

It will be some time before we have legalized same-sex
marriages here in the states - if ever.  However, I
believe we will have equal rights for same sex couples
at some point.  The religious right is trying (and not
very effectively) a slight-of-hand approach of how the
laws are non-discriminatory because "a gay man can
marry a woman" and "a gay woman can marry a man".  In
other words, they want you to focus on an individual's
rights so you won't notice the discrimination against
couples.  It's a tranparent argument.

-Scott

--- Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com>