[Vision2020] RE: The Key to Helping Downtown Moscow Thrive

Barbara Richardson Crouch edc at moscow.com
Tue Jul 12 09:30:22 PDT 2005

Wayne,

The City has begun the Comprehensive Planning process by utilizing the New
Cities Initative.  I'll try an answer your questions.

Originally, the Comprehensive Plan was going to be worked on in sections -
Downtown, Economic Development, etc.  It was decided by Council and agreed
to by many groups interested in the Comprehensive Plan that first the City
needed to find a way to engage all stakeholders.  This lack of engagement
was made clear during the formulation of the Downtown Plan.  Action has been
taken on the Downtown Plan, the Chamber was selected to implement the
Downtown Plan and has been working with the merchants association to do some
things - BID, Parking Survey, etc.

As far as the information being "stale", many of the suggestions made in the
plan  are being implemented - the use of CDBG funds to improve Friendship
Square

The LEDC agrees that the focus should be on completing a Comprehensive Plan
update that contains the following:  a clear vision for Moscow's future;
sufficient public input to validate the vision; a buy-in from the decision
makers and citizens. I know that the City Council, MCA, LEDC, Chamber, etc.
all want to ensure that the planning process is open, fair and respects the
needs of all citizens and other stakeholders.

Barbara