[Vision2020] RE: The Key to Helping Downtown Moscow Thrive

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Jul 12 07:49:27 PDT 2005

Barbara,

Thank you for the information about previous work on a downtown Moscow plan.  It was most informative.  Perhaps you can post a précis of the major elements and goals of that plan.

Perhaps also you and/or some open-minded city council members (not an oxymoron, I hope) can answer the following questions:

After spending $50,000 and lots of effort on the part of citizens, businesses, political figures, and governmental staff:

Why has action been delayed for more than three years after the downtown plan was completed on the city comprehensive plan?

Has not some of the information gathered and recommendations made in this plan more than 3 years ago become stale?

Since the issue of allowing educational institutions and other possibly counter-productive uses in the downtown core is one with great consequences for the future of Moscow, shouldn't the current city zoning ordinances be updated only after the comp plan is updated and clear goals are set for the downtown core and its relationship to the rest of the city?

I am sure there are a large number of citizens (residents, patrons, users, visitors, etc) that want to know why the normal city planning processes are not being followed and what effort, if any, is being made to get them back on track instead of doing planning/zoning business in a crisis driven, piecemeal fashion.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843