[Vision2020] RE: The Key to Helping Downtown Moscow Thrive

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Jul 12 21:08:28 PDT 2005

Barbara, et al,

I guess I'm not very bright.

I still do not see the reason for a three year delay by the city council to begin to revise the comp plan, New Cities or not.

Had the council acted in a timely and effective manner, the current zoning issues/fiasco would not be.  And still they do not squarely face the issue in a manner suggested and propelled by law.  I see a lot of hemming and hawing and a great reluctance to do their statutory duties in a prompt and courageous manner.  I am particularly disappointed in those that ran for office on a reform promise.  Where is the reform?  I do not want to hear that it takes time.  Time has already passed with little or no results!  Where is the community leadership they should be eagerly supplying?

With regard to the BID:

[1]    There has been a lot of negative comment about the goals and effects of the proposed BID by several downtown businesspersons.  They do not believe that it really will return a viable cost benefit to their businesses.  Some of that comment has appeared here on Vision 2020.

[2]    The last organization I would trust to implement any kind of more than a very elementary plan is the Moscow Chamber of Commerce.  During the just previous years they have exhibited grossly inept financial management, extraordinary insensitivity to community values, and a close-mindedness, secretness that rivals the most dogmatic religious leader/organization.

[3]    The city council cannot delegate its responsibility to govern!!!  They are in charge of producing the comprehensive plan, the resulting zoning ordinance, and the other various elements of insuring the opportunity for a viable downtown core.

Perhaps, the city has poured $50,000 and a lot of well-intended citizen effort down a rathole.  Perhaps they need to start over again or at least public review the $50,000 masterpiece and try to determine if it has any useful parts.

As V 2020er Pat Kraut asked:  Why did they need to spend the $50,000 on outside consultants in the first place?  Why are we paying elected officials and city staff if not to tackle problems like these?

I may be in error, but between the elected officials, the city staff, and a wealth of community expertise that could be had on a voluntary basis just for a polite, open invitation, I should think that in a fairly short time, a downtown vision/plan could be generated.  However, it won't be if the city council continues to act like sluggish, snaffled, prideful, frightened snails.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843