[Vision2020] NSA Will Grow & Moscow Will Prosper

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 7 13:57:59 PDT 2005

Visionaries:

I am breaking my own "rule" to *not* respond to posts by those not willing
to sign their names to what they post.

However, in the interest of accurate information, I feel the need to correct
what I understand to be a misstatement by New man who wrote, in part:
"It is important to note that NSA's future growth is not merely
hypothetical. It is a coming reality. NSA has expanded from 4 students when
it was first founded to over 140 students in the last year. Now, when NSA
gets accreditation (which will occur most likely in the next year or two),
that expansion will be uninhibited in a new way."

The following information comes from NSA's web site:
"The College is small by design so that students may enjoy the close
personal attention of the senior scholars and experience Christian community
in tangible ways. The College limits each entering class to fewer than 50
new full-time students. New Saint Andrews employs a small-group tutorial
system centered on discussions of readings of the great literature of
Western civilization. The College is also small because its founders and
Board of Trustees believe that quality, integrity, and faithfulness are
better preserved by maintaining close personal familiarity and
accountability between the church, faculty, students, and community, and by
rejecting the secular models of growth and giantism that have stumbled and
undermined many formerly Christian colleges."
http://www.nsa.edu/admissions/faq.html

Maybe I'm being incredibly naive, but my understanding is that NSA does NOT
anticipate growing any larger than 200 students and Dr. Atwood thinks that
with attrition, the number will probably be less (I believe he mentioned
around 140-150 or so students).

Because I could be mistaken in my understanding, I'm copying Dr. Atwood in
the hope he can provide accurate information.

As most V2020 participants/posters know, I'm *certainly* no apologist for
NSA, and I'm apparently one of the mysterious Nasty Nine.  And, if anyone
has missed it, I'm one of the participants challenging NSA's property tax
exemption last year & this year.  I think it's safe to say that I'm probably
not on the NSA's booster list <g>.

However, New man presents information which contradicts my understanding.
Whatever objections the community or parts of the community have to NSA
being located in the CB zoning district (and I do think there are *valid*
concerns), I believe those objections should be based on *factual*
information.  If the info New man presents is correct, that's something we
need to be aware of, but if isn't not correct, I don't agree with what seems
to me to be a scare tactic.

New man, you seem to indicate that you are a member of Christ Church -- are
you telling us that the information on NSA's web site is inaccurate and that
different information is going around amongst the "in" circle?  Can you
provide any source for your information?

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****