[Vision2020] The Future

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 3 12:54:55 PDT 2005

Saundra

Of course other people have different concerns than I do, that should be
obvious since we are not drones or ants in some mindless colony.  Human's
make a social judgement and form communities based on very different
criteria than do ants.  That is the whole point Saundra.

You form inclusive communities by finding consensus and including others who
do not share or hold the exact opinions that you do.  All the utopian
communes that have tried to weed out and exclude have always fallen straight
on their a-ses.  A lasting and vibrant community is one that can accept the
highest degree of variance from the norm in its members.  Its called
diversity and its why America works.

But you do not breed diversity by looking for and attacking the areas that
divide us.  You build community by looking for what makes us one and find
rules to insure that we can live with the differences between us.

I wrote what I wrote, Saundra, because we need to find first causes, the
things that are most important to the community as a whole and the things
that bring us together rather than drive us apart.

So, yes Saundra, I do belittle those who make a choice to draft lists of
people that they will not work with and hate.  I do question the wish to
build community on the basis of not what is most important, but what divides
us.

Just a simple example;

I do not eat organic food, but I support the efforts of the people growing
it.  Any value added product this area can produce is a net community good.
That the bulk of the grows of organic crops may have political differences
with me because I work in the mining industry has no consequence to me,
since I see what they are doing as a benefit to my community.  That being
the case, I do not then run to IDWR and turn them all in for using water to
irrigate their crops without a permit and try to force them all out of
business, even if they oppose and create political problems for moving
forward on my mining project out in Bovill.  Instead, as a communitarian, I
seek to see that they get the required water rights so that their activities
are legal and they can continue to help our community grow.

Did you ever take the time to go have a meeting with Doug Wilson?  Did you
ask him if there was a way to address your concerns?

Did Lois or the MCA ever ask to meet with the Naylors?  Did they ever ask
them to address their concerns?

And I am talking about talks not in front of governmental authorities,
before an inquisition seeking the various people's blood, property and
general rights.  I am talking about talking to somebody as a community
member.

During the height of the resource wars I used to attend Wild Idaho at Red
Fish Lake.  I did that because I wanted to know what concerns those who were
against me had and how I might be able to find common ground with them.  And
there was a suprising amount of common ground Saundra, that all but the most
fanatic could see if they looked for it.

So you have disagreements with the CCers Trinity Fest thing?  Why not ask
Wilson if you can put up a both on diversity at the function?  Dislike the
location of NSA, come up with alternatives that help see it moved to a more
favorable location.  Start looking for ways to live together in peace, not
gird for war and rattle sabres in front of the authorities.

So I ask again, what is the most important issue facing Moscow and what can
we do as all of us together in a single community to face and win on that
issue?  I see it as our economy and want people to suggest how we can make
that strong without fundementally destroying who we are as a group or
community.  What are your top priorities, Saundra, things that effect us
alland that we can all work together on?

Does that make the picture any clearer?

Phil Nisbet