[Vision2020] The Future

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 2 15:17:12 PDT 2005

Phil:

Not for the first time, I obviously didn't clearly communicate my point.

First, I didn't assume you were talking about me, but rather about everyone
you consider to be "quibbling over the tiny stuff."  I used myself as an
example because that was easy  :-)

I stand by my position that that you are arguing from a false either/or
position.  There is no reason people who you perceive to be "quibbling over
the tiny stuff" can't also be concerned about what you perceive to be the
"important" stuff.

Second, I also stand by my position that I think it works against
community-building to belittle & minimize the interests & concerns of those
who have different interests & concerns from yourself.

You also asked, "If everybody was flush, do you think that anybody would
care if we put in a new bunch of school buildings?"

YES:  I think that even if everyone was flush, there would be a segment of
our community that would organize to keep new public schools from being
built.  While I believe that public education is a public Good, I also
recognize there are folks in this community who don't share that view and
don't want their taxes going to support it in much the same way, I suppose,
that I don't want my tax burden increased to support the advancement of any
particular religion to the detriment of all the other religions.

HTH,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****