[Vision2020] "The Nation" article

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jul 1 08:05:29 PDT 2005

Visionaires,

If some of you got something similar to this yesterday, my apologies --
somehow, "send" and "cancel" collided . . .

I urge all of you to get ahold of this week's issue of "The Nation," which
features an article called "Racism Rebooted."  It discusses the
socio-political climate of the South 40 years ago when Edgar Killen
organized the mob who murdered Chaney, Schwerner, and Goodman.  Given that
religion permeates every cultural institution in today's South, just as it
always has, it seems fair to say that the socio-political climate was
largely due to religious influences, at least until the mid-20th century.

In this case, however, the religion appears to have been a pseudo-Christian
exercise in hierarchy, violence, patriarchy, and bigotry that some would
nonetheless enshrine as an example of a Biblical "city on a hill," a model
of koinoneia or Christian community that would symbolize the eternal virtue
of Christ's kingdom.  Contented, Christianized slaves; fulfilled, submissive
Christian ladies; cheerful, obedient children; benevolent "men of chest" who
made sure everyone conformed to their place in the social and familial
hierarchy -- and the faces of the poor ground into the dust, their bodies
hanging from trees as those who would extend themselves to free them are
hunted like dogs.

This privileged, white Christian woman is ashamed for those who would extol
the South of the mid-1800s or of the mid-1900s as a picture or foretaste of
the reign of Jesus Christ.  The simple pleasures, mutual affection and
harmonious relationships of Christian fellowship are true.  The idea that
such exists between the oppressed and their oppressors is a lie originating
from a place way, way further south and a whole lot hotter than
Philadelphia, Mississippi.

If anyone wants a copy but can't afford to buy this issue, contact me
off-list and I'll buy it.  It's that important.

keely emerine mix