[Vision2020] Proposed zoning code revision

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Fri Jul 1 09:33:49 PDT 2005

> Second, why not change the definition of educational

> institution to not mention accreditation. The function

> and nature of an accredited college and a

> non-accredited college are very similar in their

> impact on a zoning district. If not, then we need a

> new definition of a college that is not accredited.

I'd like to discuss this from my perspective as a former faculty member at
UI (I was a professor of Electrical Engineering and then Computer Science
from 1973-2002). Accreditation is important. Accredited high schools enable
students to gain admission to colleges. If you graduate from a
non-accredited high school, then to gain admission to the UI you need to
file an appeal to the Admissions Committee. There are accredited home school
options, charter schools in Idaho, so I don't think that accreditation is
restrictive. Accreditation at the college level enable the students to
attend graduate school. When a student enters college, graduate school may
be the last thing on their mind, but I don't think it is wise to inhibit
that option.

In addition to institutional accreditation, there are accrediting agencies
that accredit specific programs such as engineering and architecture. It is
often not possible to gain admission into those professions without
graduating from an institution accredited in that discipline.

So while the zoning impact of a non-accredited institution may be similar, I
don't think that non-accredited institutions should be encouraged. It is a
bad educational practice.

John Dickinson
Moscow City Council