[Vision2020] The Future

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 1 06:50:26 PDT 2005

Mr. Nisbet stated:

"As with so many of the organizations and institutions in the local area
that lay claim to debating The Future of Moscow, this particular list seems
more pent up on airing political differences that actually talking about the
kind of community anybody wants to see in the future.  Insularity and clique
support in attacks on opposition seems the rule, all focused on the here and
now."

That's where you are wrong, Mr. Nisbet.

We ARE concerned about the future of Moscow, VERY concerned.

We are concerned about non-commercial entities moving into prime locations
on Main Street, chasing away those locally owned and operated retail outlets
that many V2020 are afraid will disappear in the gluttony of "big box"
companies.

We are concerned about the unqualified granting of tax-exempt status to
entities that simply do not qualify for such a privilege, thus increasing
the tax burden of each and every remaining property owner in Moscow, a
burden whose voice has grown steadily louder each year.

If these concerns continue unchecked, where will Moscow be five years from
now?  Ten years from now?  A central business district that caters only to
the wishes of the few and not the dreams and aspirations of the many?

So, you see, Mr. Nisbet.  We are not only concerned about Moscow's future,
we are committed to it. Care to join us.  We will leave the light on for
you.

Until then . . .

Take care, Moscow.

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will
stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving
path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so
far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

- Sir Winston Churchill