[Vision2020] Downtown Parking

James Nelson hammered at moscowmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:33:19 PST 2005

Visionaries,

It’s safe to say that the city planners meant “primary purpose”
when they used the word “shopper.” This is why Moscow’s
Comprehensive Plan uses the word “principal” in the first stated
objective for downtown, which says, “Maintain the central business
district as a principal retail shopping area in Moscow.” NSA
students fill up spaces not to shop, but to sit in class. If they
incidentally spend money, then well enough. But “incidental”
shoppers do not visit downtown intending to shop.

Here’s a hypothetical: If 18 year old drives downtown and
fills a parking space at the Jackson St. lot so that he can spend
the day learning, then the NSA has done well. If the 18 year old
spends $4 at the drug store on a Pepsi and Mars Bar, then the drug
store has done okay. But if 150 teenagers with sparse allowances
fill up the Jackson St. lot for an afternoon and deprive 150
adults, whose median income exceeds $75,000, of convenient parking,
then NSA does very well, but downtown businesses have just been
shortchanged. (Re NSA faculty, however many there may be, I’m sure
that when they’re not boycotting the Daily News, they might drop
dime at Zumé Bakery.)

I don’t know if the parents of NSA students pay their taxes or not.
But I do know that the majority of NSA students are from out of
town. So if they pay their taxes, it’s not to Moscow.

Mr. Arnold asks, “Are you saying that one group of people is better
than another group of people because they choose to spend their
money on education rather than pizza or a movie?”

I answer, No, I’m saying that one group of people fails to meet the
city’s objectives as defined in the Comprehensive Plan while they
are spending their money on education.

But Mr. Arnold and I do have a point where we agree. He writes,
“Selective enforcement of the law on the basis or religion is
discrimination.” If the city fails to enforce the zoning code as it
applies to NSA, then the city would be guilty of reverse
discrimination, i.e., showing preference to one group of people at
another’s expense. And in this case, downtown business owners who
have complied with the law would be the wronged parties, as well as
all citizens of Moscow who obey the law.

Sincerely,

James Nelson

Visionaries,

I would like to point out errors in reasoning and comprehension in
Mr. Nelson’s stated observations.
“Ironically, NSA’s occupation of the Verizon building has created
the need for additional downtown parking, not because they bring
more shoppers to the area, but because they (faculty & students)
use parking spaces that would otherwise be filled by “shoppers and
employees.” In other words, NSA’s presence downtown frustrates
specific objectives declared by the city planners. (Hopefully most
people can distinguish between a student shopper and business
shopper.)”

Well, ironically, NSA’s faculty and students do meet the definition
of shoppers and employees. The employees provide a service to the
students that they paid for in payments or in advance. I also a,
willing to bet that the parents of those students that PAY for
services provided by NSA are also TAXPAYERS. I am also willing to
bet those capable of sending their children to a private school are
also paying a higher portion of the taxes than the general
population of Moscow that supports the roads and public utilities
in the downtown area.

By saying, “(Hopefully most people can distinguish between a
student shopper and business shopper.)” Are you saying that one
group of people is better than another group of people because they
choose to spend their money on education rather than pizza or a
movie? Students bring in more than 60% of the money in the county,
and I believe 80% of the money in the city.

Why isn’t anyone bitching about the Chamber of Commerce, DAC, CDHD,
Goodwill, or the countless number of other services and offices
upstairs in those buildings that don’t sell anything or are
non-profit? Give me a break! Some people are just targeting the NSA
because they don’t like them. It is that cut and dry. In the past,
Verizon that was in the same place where NSA is now and that didn’t
count for what is a commercial industry according to City Code
because it wasn’t selling anything, it was just operating there.

Selective enforcement of the law on the basis or religion is discrimination.

Take care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS the Farmer’s Market also takes up downtown parking and is not a
downtown business, that is against City Code too, should we ban
that? Oh, wait! It is isn’t a religious event so it is OK to
viiolate the law in this case--selective enforcement, right-o, I
keep forgetting.