[Vision2020] In fairness to NSA

James Nelson hammered at moscowmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:32:23 PST 2005

Visionaries,

When I used the term “flouting,” I connected NSA with the Kirk.
And, yes, they admitted openly that they operated a non-exempt
business in their facility. But at the same time they concealed
that they ran a non-exempt entity that grossed $1 million annually.
They also concealed that they paid royalties to insiders from this
cash cow. I call this tax evasion and I’m sure the IRS would not
disagree with me. Quite honestly, I think that their admission of a
small taxable entity on their premises served more as a red herring
than a token of good faith.

Re “fairness,” I remember reading that County Commissioner Jack
Nelson, who voted to repeal the exemption, said something like,
“When I saw them making a million and taking royalties, well, it’s
about fairness. Everyone has to pay their fair share.” I also
remember the LMT headline after they lost their exemption where
Wilson cried, “This is a slam-dunk case of harassment,” which is to
say that Wilson does not grasp the idea of “fairness.”

Mr. Curley, I believe that if the Kirk had not been exposed by two
concerned women, then we would not be privy to their various
enterprises, and they still would not be paying their taxes. So
while I appreciate your desire to impute good motives to these
people, I do not trust them.

Sincerely,

James Nelson

I have to say that I think fair is fair, and while I have been
involved with both the tax issue and the current zoning matter, I
don’t think it’s quite fair to say that NSA “flouted” the tax law
or “evaded” taxes. They admitted openly that a non-exempt entity
operated in their building, and requested that they be taxed only
on that portion.

The request was granted.  Only when two concerned local women
pointed out to the Latah County Tax Board that the tax code says
the use has to be EXCLUSIVELY for exempt purposes, did someone take
a closer look and say, by golly, they aren’t entitled to ANY
exemption. NSA’s interpretation of the law had been followed on a
few prior occasions, and although I think it was wrong—and the
County Attorney agreed by the way—it wasn’t unlawful for them to
make the assertion.

Mike Curley