[Vision2020] moscows future

Ron Force rforce at moscow.com
Thu Jan 27 16:43:41 PST 2005

A central parking garage has also been urged fro the UI. The trouble is, no
one is willing to pay the parking fees needed to build it (all parking at
the UI is funded by parking fees).

>From the International Parking Institue web site:

What does it cost to build a parking garage?

Perhaps the best way to estimate the cost of a new parking garage is to look
at the number of spaces it contains. In 1996, the International Parking
Institute estimated that new parking garages cost betweeen $4,500 and
$15,000 per space (depending, of course, on the type of construction,
special features, etc.). A reliable average is approximately $7,000 per
space for multi-level garages. Surface facilities can be built for around
$1,500 per space in most cases.

Ron Force    Moscow ID USA
rforce at moscow.com

Parking has been an expressed concern for a many businesses.  The idea of
putting a parking structure on the lot off Friendship Square has been
thought as a near-ideal solution.  No one has come up with the way to fund
it.  The proposed BID may be able to set aside regular small amounts, but
how do we fund a multi-million dollar facility without the problems of
Spokane’s parking garage?  If that answer can be found, I think the rest
will fall into place rather easily.