Re: [Vision2020] Re: Zoning Code and NSA (archives ) READ § 4-11-9 (80) and §...

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 11:14:23 PST 2005

Saundra, Donovan et. al.

While I really cannot debate this issue fully without reading all the
relevant laws on the books, and looking at how these laws have been applied in the
past (sometimes how a law has been applied in actual practice becomes a guide to
how the law should be interpreted to be applied in the future.  Law is not
something that is only written down to be a guide, the written law becomes
"interpreted" by courts, etc., in actual practice and the same written law can be
applied and thus interpreted differently over time), I will agree with Donovan
that the definition of a "commercial" school might not essentially hinge on
whether the school is a for profit institution.

Saundra may still be correct though, so I am only suggesting this
interpretation as a possibility.

"Commercial" could be, in this case, meant to apply to schools that educate
people only for a specific trade or skill that has direct commercial
application in the marketplace.  Such a school would not attempt the agenda of the
overall education of a human being to be a responsible informed citizen of a
democratic society able to make logical and informed decisions in the voting booth,
a goal of education that I must say even the U of I appears to fail to achieve
in many cases, and also appears to be forgotten in many state and federal
supported public schools, whose purpose should be to promote these democratic
ideals.

So a school that only trains for long haul semi drivers to get jobs in that
industry would be a "commercial" school even if it was operated as a nonprofit.
 Similarly, the school for massage which is in downtown Moscow would also be
a "commercial" school aimed at training people for one specific skill to
become certified in as a money making profession, even if it was operated as a
nonprofit, although I assume this school is a for profit school, isn't it?

Ted Moffett