[Vision2020] Global warming approaching critical point

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Jan 25 10:18:37 PST 2005

Dan, et al,

Time constraints allow only a short answer:

There is little doubt that in past eons volcanoes (which were much more
frequent than now), forest fires caused by drought and lightening, ignited
petroleum/gases, etc. did put much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and
cause widespread climatic changes.  However, at present, human activities
and their results are by far the main source of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
Further, humankind  has decreased greatly, particularly in recent years, the
amount of carbon dioxide converting vegetation (for example the Brazilian
forests).  Hence, less carbon dioxide is now being converted into oxygen and
into other organic substances.

The second site you presented is equivalent to those advocating the
Creationist Theory of the Universe.  It features very poor science, depends
mostly on scattered incidents, and contains much commentary by a lot of
scientifically illiterate crack pots.  For example, the overwhelming body of
observational evidence shows not only a great shrinkage of ice fields all
over the world in recent years, but an alarming acceleration of that
shrinkage.

Recently two large groups of well-respected, well-credentialed scientists
have issued dire warnings on global warming.  Their is work based upon a
great deal of systematic research.  Of course, as with any scientific
prediction, their predictions could be wrong as it is a complex matter and
we don't have all the facts yet.  However, given a choice between present
science and crack-potism, I choose science.

Ted recently posted some of the results from the second group of scientists.
I posted some of the results of the first group several months ago.

The blasé attitude on global warming equivalent to "Don't shoot until you
see the whites of their eyes" is in my opinion fiddling while Rome burns.

For centuries, millions and millions of people died from horrible diseases.
They died because religious and other groups sought to prevent, then sought
to pooh-pooh the results of scientific inquiry.

Along with religious groups, social, political, and especially very powerful
economic groups seek to do the same with the global warming issue.  These
groups are likely to succeed:  they certain control the economic, political,
and persuasive mechanisms to do so.  If so, the eventual human death toll in
the not too distant future will not be in the millions as with the ignoring
of health science for centuries was, but likely in the billions.

I hope you will not take this too personally, but Dan, I am surprised at
your attitude and belief in this matter.  I know both from observation and
the reports of reliable witnesses that you are an exceptionally dedicated
family person and so perhaps then would want to leave a safer, more
hospitable world for your children and their children.  I know, that when
pressed with facts and logic, you are capable of rethinking a position and
changing your mind.

I ask you as a fellow citizen and as a friend to take the time to
thoughtfully look through the research, results and predictions of the two
groups of scientists mentioned above and to revisit your current opinion on
this admittedly very complex, not completely settled issue.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com