[Vision2020] Correction

Barrett Schroeder Barrett at hideandfur.com
Tue Jan 25 00:22:32 PST 2005

I've been told the Daily News will run a correction
on Tuesday under the "Accuracy Matters" heading
to clarify that I did not say that people attending the
"anti-inauguration" in Friendship Square "did not
love the United States."

One of the organizers of the event, Tom Hansen,
is a veteran. My neighbors when I was growing up,
who are first generation Americans, also attended.
I know others who attended and I know that all of
them love America just as much as I do.

I haven't seen all the comments made about the
article, but I would certainly be offended if someone
said I didn't love America, and I was equally unhappy
being associated with that statement.

I was out of town from Friday morning to Sunday
evening, and as soon as I saw that statement I
emailed the organizers of the event. I was at the
Daily News Monday first thing Monday morning to
get this clarified.

I've attended rallies and demonstrations and carried signs
myself, and I respect people taking the time to make their
voice heard, although I wouldn't bring a coffin as a prop.
A person has a right to lie in a coffin on Main Street if they
want to, as much as I have a right to say it's in poor taste.

Before I went home on Election Night, I put a sign in the window
of our campaign headquarters. It didn't say "We won!" or "Bush
won!", but simply "It's over!"

Since then I have talked about the Election many times,
on Tim Lohrmann's KUID program, at Linda Pall's post-
election forum and with many individuals. I've talked with
many people who voted for other candidates and rather than
critcize or argue with them, I've listened to their concerns
and how they feel. I've encouraged them to get involved in
the party of their choice.

And with the Election now 2 1/2 months behind us, I encourage
them to think about how we can all move forward from here.

Of course, our positons were reversed in 1992 and 1996,
and it took time for Republicans to get over those losses.
But, I have a set of presidential portraits we hang up at special
Party events, and we hang Pres. Clinton's up alongside all
the rest, because he was our President.

We are all Americans, we can disagree, but we all love our
country, and we are all in this together.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I'm sorry to say
that The List is not the best way to get a message to me.

- Barrett