[Vision2020] Correction

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 25 06:04:09 PST 2005

Thank you very much for your posting, Mr. Schroeder.

I interpreted it as heart-felt and honest.  I apologize for my misguided
remarks concerning the newspaper's misinterpretation of your comments.  I
believe that we can now continue our "debates" with a degree of civility.

I have always felt that dissent is the truest and purest form of patriotism.
As hate is not the opposite of love, dissent is not the opposite of
nationalism.  Loyalty and nationalism have one very strong bond; caring.  I
have known this since my sit-in days in McArthur Park in Los Angeles in the
summer of '68 when I was part of an activist group protesting companies
profiteering from the war in Vietnam:

- to the days when a group of us laid coffins across Main Avenue near the
approach to the Monroe Street Bridge in Spokane during morning rush hour to
protest our government's apathy toward MIAs and unaccounted POWs in 1991

- to last Thursday's Inauguration Day protest of our current
administration's selfish and ill-conceived invasion of Iraq, as well as its
stripping the American people of their civil rights.

So, Mr. Schroeder, we care and love our country very very much, probably
more than those who will blindly follow a self-serving apathetic
administration.

Again, thank you for your heart-felt and honest comments.

Pro patria,

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.