[Vision2020] Global warming approaching critical point

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 19:06:23 PST 2005

Wayne et. al.

I am sorry if I implied you are one of the people who are ignoring the threat
of global warming.  I would expect you to be very aware and concerned about
this issue.  I just meant that the attitude that "I won't be alive long enough
to face the problem" seems to be the approach many people take, so they don't
feel a necessity for serious action to remedy human sourced contributions to
global warming, assuming they even admit it is a problem.

Your discussion of the melting of glaciers is right on the mark.  One of the
most compelling  data sets that global warming is happening at a rapid rate is
the melting of glaciers and ice sheets all around the planet.  The legendary
Snows of Kilimanjaro (I keep thinking Hemingway)  will soon be gone, perhaps
in our lifetime!

When you say an ordinary citizen (you are not "ordinary" Wayne) cannot do
much to stop global warming given the economic/political forces involved, I
expect you do not mean the things that most any citizen can do: drive less, drive a
fuel efficient vehicle, use mass transit, carpool, live in a smaller home or
apartment easier to heat and cool, don't build huge energy consuming homes,
invest in alternative energy for your home (solar, wind, etc.) and so forth.

But I agree that given the social/political/economic realities of the fossil
fuel economy, global warming will likely be a disaster when major
international action is finally taken to radically mitigate the human contribution to this
climate change, at which point the remedies required will be draconian, and
perhaps not very effective.

In the long run I think the Bush administration's denial of global warming,
or at least their stubborn refusal to lead the world to help mitigate global
warming, may be the most damaging and short sighted policy decision Bush will be
remembered for, even worse than invading Iraq in the manner it was invaded.

Ted Moffett