[Vision2020] Global warming approaching critical point

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 24 18:19:18 PST 2005

Ted,
Its not that I don't care.  I have tilted at that windmill many times, in many ways.

Big Money, which controls Big Politics (notice the color) for the most part, vehemently does not want the kinds of changes to take place that might mitigate global warming.  Short of clever, insurgent warfare against very strategic human and corporate targets, there is not much an ordinary citizen will be able to do before it is too late, if it is not so already.

I have hiked a great deal (100s of times) in the Canadian Rockies since the very early 1970's.  I took (take) lots of photos and slides.  It is horrifying to see the acceleration of the melting of the ice fields.  One example:  The Athabasca Glacier which is one of the premier sights and tourist attractions on the Ice Fields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper had its toe almost at the edge of the old highway when I first saw it in 1972.  It has now retreated almost 1/2 mile, most of this in the last 10 - 12 years.  The same kind of retreat, if not worse, is true of the Saskatchewan Glacier which extends nearby off the same portion of the Columbia Ice Field.  The Crowfoot Glacier actually had three toes; now it has none.

I am too old for insurgent warfare and certainly lack the persuasive skills needed to change a sufficient number of minds even right here in Latah County.

Just imagine the scenarios of human misery, competition, social disorganization, and warfare that will occur when the oceans rise, previously fertile areas become arid, unproductive deserts, the [population swells, and the air is choked with toxic pollutants.  Like I say, I'm glad I only have few years left.  Those with children should be in the forefront of this battle...but there is so much TV for them to watch, and so many diversions that Big Money has provided to defocus their concern and action.  Pessimistic?  Yes.  Realistic.  I very sorrowfully think yes.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com