[Vision2020] Follow-up on the Lighting Ordinance

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Feb 1 10:39:35 PST 2005

As a followup to the thread dealing with the lighting ordinance provision
of the Omnibus Latah County Land Ordinance, I want to redirect attention
back to the ordinance itself.  For me the fundamental question is whether
the local, state or federal level bureaucracies should be in the business
of regulating light bulbs - stated another way, does government have a
comparative advantage in solving my issues for specific lighting needs.

I am somewhat surprised that the ordinance didn't address the questions
related to health and safety of Latah Citizens and its relationship to
lighting needs.

Decisions at the UI and at the local malls have acknowledged that there are
security issues associated with the spaces for which they are responsible
for managing.  Lighting at UI has increased exponentially as one means of
dealing with the attacks on campus.  I have not heard a single complaint
about lighting used for that purpose.

Rural residents also confront health and safety issues and several posters
have noted their concerns about lighting and health and safety.  While I do
recognize that light pollution can be a problem for those wishing to enjoy
a "dark sky", those "wants" are not as important to me as providing for a
safe environment for my family, friends and neighbors who visit me.  I
enjoy a night sky as much as anyone else, but I am more interested in
protecting my animals from predators.  Light is one tool I use to
discourage those predators from getting too close.  And, my wife and I have
used good judgment in selecting our lighting devices to deal with our
problems. In most cases, a 60 watt bulb is not going to do the job for
us.  We have exerted considerable effort to provide for our lighting needs
in a responsible manner while making similar efforts at not imposing a cost
on my neighbors.  It has been my experience in the rural area that my
neighbors approach their problem solving in much the same way.

When laws and ordinances are adopted, there should be a clear recognition
that there are priorities that we as people must address.  Sorry -
protecting folks from attacks in public places are more important to me
than dark skies; providing safety for my family, friends and neighbors is
more important to me that dark skies.  These priorities are not reflected
in the ordinance.  This ordinance is simply far too intrusive into the role
and responsibility of individuals and is not necessary.