[Vision2020] Follow-up on the Lighting Ordinance

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Feb 1 11:48:04 PST 2005

Jeff,

I am not sure that you are considering alternative measures.  Sure, there
are lighting needs, but the question that seems reasonable to engage debate
on this particular issue is more one of how are those lighting needs best
addressed without effecting other people's private property rights by
emitting light beyond the property of the individual with the lights.

If it were truly an all or nothing option for lighting your property and
protecting your animals, that might be one reason to consider allowing the
unregulated use that you propose, but it seems there are many other options
that could decrease the "leakage" from an individual's private property onto
the property of others, which I would also define to include our jointly
held community sky.  Certainly, it is most important to address the
"leakage" onto an adjacent neighbor, and it seems reasonable to me, and
consistent with Libertarian doctrine, to preclude one property owner from
shining a spotlight onto a neighbor's bedroom window (to assume a most
egregious example for illustrative purposes).

But to the extent that lights may be designed to shed light downward, and
not up at the sky, what is wrong with that, too?  The free market economy
will quickly fill the void in supply that may make these lights temporarily
more expensive, and that will lead to greatly decreased costs for these
kinds of lights.    There has been relatively little demand for these kinds
of lights up to this time mainly because society has ignored the private
property rights involving light leakage; basically, nobody has thought of
the external social costs of the ambient light leakage and the entrepreneurs
have not stepped in to fill the need.

Much of Libertarian doctrine is very appealing to me.  Many of us can agree
on areas in which the government ought not to  be regulating our personal
decisions.  But what many Libertarians forget in simplifying that doctrine
to one of "all government or government regulation is bad" (less whatever
common governmental need you accept as being necessary, whether it be
limited to a common defense, police and fire, or not), is that the essence
of the theory is one of protecting private property rights.

Pollution by whatever means -- light, smoke and noxious odors in our air,
sullied aquifers, rivers and streams, tailing piles and heavy metal
contamination in our lands, etc. -- necessarily, or at least typically,
exacts a toll on the private property rights of others when that pollution
leaves the private property where it originated.

It seems to me that the City of Moscow and Latah County have both begun to
address this problem of light leakage onto the property of others with
proposed ordinances, and that seems like a reasonable use of government to
protect the rights of private property owners and allow them to use their
property to its fullest and best use, so long as that use does not intrude
on the rest of us private property owners.

Bruce Livingston