[Vision2020] Phil, Tom, and Filson clothes (say what?)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Dec 18 08:50:35 PST 2005

While we are all exchanging warmth and fuzzies and lecturing each other about conflict and nastiness, we need also to remember that strife and incivility do have useful and positive consequences.

For those old enough to remember here are three examples where not only did a certain amount of strife and nastiness help improve matters greatly, but such improvement would probably not happened without that strife and nastiness:

1.    The civil rights struggle (and continuing struggle) for black Americans and other minorities (wherefrom which struggle we all benefit).

2.    The bringing to an end of the Viet Nam War,

3.    The continuing struggle to bring fairness and justice to the lives of migrant farm workers.

Of course there are places where strife and nastiness can be more counter-productive than productive.  But whenever one enters public debate, one can expect to be called a lot of unpleasant things.  [But no one should expect to suffer vandalism merely for expressing their opinion.]   I have noticed that strife and nastiness is amplified by parties playing fast and loose with facts or by trying to impose their will by using references based on superstition and ignorance.  I can say that I am particularly personally angered by hypocrisy and dishonesty, and I sometimes am very nasty and graphic whenever I think such occurs;  I make no apology for those posts.

Once nastiness starts, it usually escalates.  However, I know from off list messages from people that I do not personally know that many V 2020 posters/lurkers enjoy certain kinds of sharply strident/nasty posts whether they be satirical, whether they point out facts stridently, or whether they are cleverly humorous (directly or in subtext).

As for Mr. Crabtree, he entitled to his opinions and entitled to express them any way he feels.  While I think he is short of a few relevant facts on the CBD issue, I am not convinced that he is being dishonest in his opinions at this point.  I have patronized his business for many years and know that he strives to give satisfaction and a fair exchange.

As for civility/nastiness, all of us can learn from experience, and then need to personally decide when they are the most effective tools and how to use those tools for bringing about change.  The nastiness in the world of debate does not bother me; but dishonesty and hypocrisy (especially religious/political hypocrisy) does.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com