[Vision2020] LELDF

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Mon Dec 12 11:23:13 PST 2005

All,
I just read a brief on the case, US v. Mohr.  It seems the facts of what
happened on the night in question were in dispute and that Mohr's version of
events was remarkably different than the other officers who testified
(chiefly, other officers testified that the men were in compliance with
police orders at the time Mohr unleashed her K9).  Evidently, other officers
were punished for being complicit to violating civil rights of the two men
in question (homeless men sleeping on a roof--thus the charge for
burglary--most states broadly define burglary to include being where you
should not be, in this case, the roof).  I am not coming down on either side
of this issue--I don't know enough about the case or the circumstances to do
so.  Those in law enforcement hold the public trust and must answer to the
public when their actions are suspect.  One must ask, in any situation
whether the "suspect" in a case is a member of law enforcement or the
public, whether an action amounted to willful misconduct or an unfortunate
(albeit punishable or reprimandable) mistake.  Again, I do not feel well
enough informed to comment on this particular case.  However, insofar as
contributing money to charitable organizations, I would encourage all to do
exactly as Mr. Falen did--research the organization prior to committing
money to them.  If you are uncomfortable with the rating or affiliates of a
charity, don't give to it.  On a personal note, I've found that I feel most
comfortable giving to local charities and earmarking the funds for specific
projects or programs (i.e. the Drug Tip Line sponsored by MPD and LCSO or
Dare, or ATVP, etc.).

PIO Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson