[Vision2020] SIDEWALKS

Janesta Carcich janestacarcich at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 11:32:16 PST 2005

Greetings,

I had a very informative conversation with our Chief
of Police, Dan Weaver regarding sidewalks. He was
really helpful in assisting me to understand the
ordinance, how it is written, and what it is lacking.

Chief Weaver stated they are being more aggressive
this year. The person who warns, and writes citations
to business owners regarding their sidewalks is also
the animal control officer. Apparently, she is pretty
busy tending to strays, and loose pets. I suggested
the parking ticket writers be the eyes and ears for
her, and contact her when there is a problem.
Hmmmmm????? That gives me an idea! Better yet, why not
train THEM do ticket writing for icy sidewalks? They
are walking frequently in the downtown district. I
haven’t seen the ordinance, but apparently it is vague
in terms of how much of the sidewalk needs to be
cleared, how wide, by what time, all kinds of things
are missing!

In my opinion, the walks should be clear from the curb
to the front door of the business. then, from property
line to property line. How else can we safely get from
the curb to the door, or another business, if all that
is required is a three foot wide walkway in front of
the business? We can not expect to park in front of
the business we are shopping at, that just isn't
possible anywhere, unless you are in Troy, where
parking is not an issue.

A warm thank you to those of you who wrote me, both
off and on the list serve. Your suggestions were
great!

Have a lovely day!
Janesta Carcich