[Vision2020] SIDEWALKS

Janesta Carcich janestacarcich at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 14:20:25 PST 2005

Greetings!

Isn’t it a gorgeous day out today? This is my favorite
kind of winter day. There is a lot of fresh white
snow, and a brilliant blue sky. A perfect day to go
Christmas shopping downtown, I would love to, but I
can't.

Many of the sidewalks are as slick as the skating rink
at the fair grounds.  It seems like every year when we
have snow like this, we go though the long process of
talking, and then talking about the police warning
businesses, then, talk some more about giving a
tickets. Most of us have lived in Moscow long enough
to know it is our responsibility to keep our sidewalks
clear.

Four years ago, I had both knees replaced. My
physician advised me, if I were to slip and fall on
the ice,(or whatever) I would be seriously injured. He
told me that most of the time, the break is right
above the shin, where the titanium prosthesis is
screwed into my bone. If this happened, I would
possibly spend up to four months in the hospital, or
lose my leg, or legs below the knee.

To be safe, I have to stay home. The money I would be
spending downtown shopping is being spent on the
Internet Christmas shopping.

It would behoove those businesses that don’t keep
their walks clear, to do so. In the long run, you will
make money. Not only by having more shoppers, but also
by not having to pay the medical bills if someone
injures themselves in front of your business.

People who use a wheelchair can’t get out now, even
those with electric ones. I have many friends who use
a chair as their only means of transportation. They
are stuck at home. How would you like to be stuck at
home? It is no fun. People who use crutches, canes, or
are otherwise unsteady on their feet are also at dire
risk.... and not shopping on Main Street.

I noticed several places today as I drove on Main
Street today
. You know who you are. It isn’t only
Main Street. Even the high school sidewalk is bad!!

If you can’t keep your walk clear due to a physical
problem, I am certain there are many people out there
who are eager to earn some money keeping your walk ice
free.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Janesta Carcich