[Vision2020] Buying US Products?

John D johnd550 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 18:24:19 PST 2005

Phil Nisbet <pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

  > The truth is that NIMBY, Not In My Backyard, is killing America. Nobody
  > wants a steel plant, a mine, a Silicon Plant or a leather works to be
  > anywhere even near them. Permitting in China or in Mexico ahppens in a year
  > at most, but takes up to ten years in the United States and once the new
  > plant is built overseas, the jobs turning those raw materials into goods is
  > going to head to the source.

  > And the net global effect to the environment of NIMBY is huge. Its not
  > about the regulations, its about the regulatory delays. Too few here
  > realize that the time cost of money and the time cost of getting a product
  > to market in a timely manner are far more significant to driving American
  > industry overseas than any other factor. But once a plant is overseas, the
  > lesser regulatory regime allows far greater pollution.

  What do you think would make or keep industry in the first world competitive with industry in the third world?

  - increased regulations in the third world, to match those in the first
  - decreased regulations in the first world, to match those in the third
  - decreased regulatory delays in the first world
  - something else?

 Yahoo! Personals