[Vision2020] Grunt's-Eye View

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 2 16:45:00 PST 2005

Pat Kraut, so ignorantly states:

"Tell me something Tom; did you know what the benefits for service people
were before we sent them to Iraq?"

Yes, Ms. Kraut.  I have known of the benefits for service people LONG before
Iraq.  I knew of them while serving a tour in Vietnam in late '69/early '70.
I knew of them during each of my four tours in Germany.  I knew of them
during my tour to Korea.  I knew of them during my various stateside
assignments.

But, most of all, Ms. Kraut, I knew of them when I was medevac'd from
Germany, after having been in a German hospital for six months undergoing
several operations in 1987 (as a result of a training accident that nearly
cost me my life), flown to the Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego, where I
underwent further operations, and transferred to Fort Ord, California where
I was medically retired from the service in July 1989, rated at 40%
disabled.  Since then my disability has increased to 45%.

I have been diagnosed with severe degenerative osteo-arthritis.  I have
plates, pins, and screws in place from my right knee down through my right
ankle.

Your comments hurt me very very deeply.  I have been active in DAV (Disabled
American Veterans) since my medical retirement in 1989.  I am a lifetime
member of DAV.

Footnote:  Membership eligibility to DAV is inexpensive.  It merely cost me
$150.00 and ever-degenerating arthritis in my right leg.

I am a disably retired Army veteran and EXTREMELY proud of my service.

Tell us, Ms. Kraut.  What have you done for your country lately?

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.