[Vision2020] Third Street Extension

April Fingerlos aprilf at fingerlos.net
Tue Aug 23 11:47:05 PDT 2005

<coming out of lurking>

Tom, there are SEVERAL places on Mt. View that could be candidates for lights. White and Mt. View is becoming just as dangerous as D and Mt View due to the massive visual obstructions (huge power pole and dumpster on the northwest corner, overgrown vegetation on the southwest corner). One has to creep so far over the crosswalk and into the intersection just to safely view Mt. View traffic when turning off White that it's just insane. When I'm dragging my long trailer through that intersection, on the way home, to the barn, or to the Fairgrounds, the safety of that intersection is drastically called into question. Lights would provide a better control over the city-permitted visual barriers. The odd angles of Mt. View and Highway 8 have the same problem, but I see a light going in there when the Thompson property is developed (eventually).

I live on Damen. My back yard will butt up against Windfall Hills, where the new 3rd street will begin construction, rumor has it, next month, carrying Third to the proposed Moser Park. My husband and I attended several P&Z and City Council meetings to hear the plat reviewed, rejected, resubmitted, screamed at, debated, etc.

I don't understand how Third can logically be considered a residential collector. It's not. It's the ONLY east-west road that travels from town edge to town edge (well, almost in the east). The Windfall Hills developer is insisting on roundabouts to "tame traffic," which is silly--the road should be treated as an arterial, not as a collector. Thankfully one was nixed, but the west-side one was, last I heard, still in the plat. Taming traffic on an arterial doesn't make any sense at all.  Also, FWIW, I don't use Sixth street to get to Third on my way to Pullman every morning or home at night. The traffic on Sixth, the absolutely horrible road surface and narrowness to Washington, and extra stop sign on Blaine route me over to B street instead.

Anyone who bought property on a city arterial should expect traffic--they're kidding themselves if they believe it'll remain a nice little residential street for long.

April

April Fingerlos
Moscow, ID