[Vision2020] From Sense and Nonsense

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Aug 22 16:02:03 PDT 2005

>From today's (August 22, 2005) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special
thanks to Rebecca Rod.

>From sense and nonsense

Oh, for heaven's sake, Ed Iverson. Did you check with your superiors before
turning in your Daily News column (Opinion, Aug. 13 & 14)?

More and more, it feels like we're living in some reverse universe with all
of these Kirkdom twists and turns of language, history and theology.

New case in point - your column.

For some time now, your church leader and major spokesman, Doug Wilson, has
been calling many of us "intoleristas", his seemingly favorite "jocular"
term for those who take issue with his theo-political ideas and biblical
interpretations. But, in your column - and I think I read it correctly - it
looks like we are definitely the tolerant ones.

Quote: "For those who advocate tolerance, religion is a purely private
matter and should never intrude upon public affairs. The tolerance crowd
also tends to assume that all religions are in reality, merely different
paths to the same god.

I proudly stand accused of this type of religious tolerance, and I know
other "intoleristas" in this town who also feel this way.

In light of that, I think it would be more accurate to correctly relabel us
as "toleristas" in your future name-calling, "jocular" and otherwise.

And I believe that also makes you and your leadership the intolerant ones
(or "tolerance police"), since you use your precious religious liberty to
repeatedly admonish and remind us that yours is the only truth and way to
God and that the rest of us are boring, ignorant and damned to hell.

P.S. Congratulations on the Orchid Award for fixing up the GTE building. The
craft and care you put into the edifice of your college is apparent and
appreciated. Unfortunately, your attempts to edify the community contrast
with the creation of your lovely façade. and damned to hell.

Rebecca Rod, Moscow

Thank you, Rebecca.

After returning home from a three-day jaunt through central Idaho to an
e-mail box littered with restroom prose, it was nice to read your letter.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Just Another Intolerista Liberal Elitista Diversity-Cleansing Wacko Nutjob
Loose in the Palouse Doing What Comes Natural

Reminder to all you fine folks - The grand opening of the Moscow Food Co-Op
in its new digs at the southwest corner of Fifth Street and Washington
Street is scheduled for this Saturday, August 27th.  See y'all there.

“I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption.”

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)