[Vision2020] Atwood column in Today's Statesman

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:18:45 PDT 2005

Here is Roy Atwood's response to my column which I entitled "The Cultural
Wars Come to Moscow."  In a letter to the Statesman I objected strongly to
their title and reiterated the fact that I have never called Wilson a
racist or a neo-Nazi.  Once again, I have appended my Statesman column below.

My challenge to Atwood is to prove where the column was false.  I've
already made the minor correction about Wilson holding a franchise on
Classical Christian Schools.  Atwood needs to tell us where the major
errors lie.

Essay was Bad; Headline was Irresponsible

The Idaho Statesman was grossly irresponsible and sensationalistic when it
published a "Reader's Opinion" by Nick Gier recently with a defamatory
headline of its own making, falsely declaring several individuals and
church-related ministries in Moscow, including my own institution, New
Saint Andrews College, to be "Neo-Nazi Christians." Not only was Gier's
letter a defamatory screed filled with known falsehoods and false
accusations, but The Statesman editors acted far more irresponsibly.

The Statesman exercised reckless disregard for the truth by amplifying
Gier's false claims of fact and unfounded accusations into a full-blown
defamation against my college and several individuals and Moscow
organizations that despise and oppose Nazism in all its forms, past and
present. To make matters worse, The Statesman has failed to take full
responsibility for its false and defamatory headline by neither retracting
nor correcting the false claims of fact in the headline in a timely manner.
The paper falsely called us Nazis and then merely offered to let those of
us defamed respond with a different "opinion." But claims of fact are not
opinions. Labeling any individual, group or organization in Idaho as
"neo-Nazi" without checking the facts and exercising due journalistic
diligence is not just professionally irresponsible, but a grave injustice
to the individuals and organizations so labeled. It is an unconscionable
act for a newspaper in the capital city of our unjustly maligned state.

For the past year or more, Gier and a group of political extremists in
Moscow have been waging a malicious campaign to damage Christ Church and
its related ministries because of its biblical teachings on various social
issues. Although many of these extremists are associated with the
University of Idaho, they have abandoned rational argumentation and civil
discourse, and stooped to ad hominem attacks and organized smear campaigns.
Newspapers closer to the scene, notably the Moscow-Pullman Daily News and
Lewiston Tribune, have both editorially described these extremists' actions
as "harassment" and politically motivated "badgering." With little or no
credibility left in Moscow and Lewiston, Gier has now tried to do damage to
our reputations elsewhere in the state. The Statesman should have known
better than to become an unwitting participant in this charade.

As the state's largest circulation paper, The Statesman should have acted
responsibly and checked the facts before printing Gier's obviously
malicious and bogus claims or writing such a defamatory and inflammatory
headline. Operating in a state whose reputation has been stained globally
by neo-Nazis based at Hayden Lake, The Statesman should have exercised
appropriate care and reasonable caution before labeling anyone or any group
in our state "neo-Nazis." Gier's article was irresponsible, false and
harmful, but what you would expect from a leftist philosophy professor who
is caught in the grip of an extremist ideology and who has trouble
following basic logic and ethics. The Statesman's headline, however, was
grossly irresponsible and defamatory and without excuse. The Statesman's
failure to admit its error and to apologize in a timely way for running
Gier's distortions and its own defamatory headline reveals a profound
failure in journalistic integrity and credibility.

Roy Atwood is president of New Saint Andrews College in Moscow.

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell